Sunday, November 1, 2009

What is Social Media?



Up until now, I've talked a lot about social media - its various platforms, growing importance, and how to get started - but I haven't actually defined what it is.

My compulsive need to define things in a linear way can be attributed to years and years of schooling where the majority of text books start off with a broad subject definition and then gradually introduce supplementary concepts so that you can see how each topic is linked to the main subject area.

It's no surprise then that defining social media in somewhat absolute terms is next on my blogging to-do list. However, this is a much bigger task than I originally imagined.

So, I decided to write a poem while I continue to wrap my head around the phenomenon that is social media. Keep in mind that this is the reason I don't write poetry or fiction in the first place. 
Social media, social media, you’re the buzzword on the scene
Don’t know how to blog you if I don’t know what you mean.

Social media, social media, you put the masses in control
You let consumers play reporter AND the publisher role.

Social media, social media, you’re just so darn cheap
Now businesses and consumers can readily reap.

Social media, social media, you let me tweet, post and upload
This shift is forever, you’ve paved a new road.



Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

arv said...

I just read that mentioned social media and I thought I should check up on your blog.

Nice poem!

Lil Ninja said...

haha thanks! :)